Fish is great for you. It gives you a shiny coat and a wet nose. Oh, wait, that is Omega-3 for dogs – either way I ensure it features a couple of times a week in my life. It is good value, versatile, and (normally) really quick to prepare and cook. I do really rate cod highly (unless, and even though I do live in Yorkshire, it is doused in batter then deep fried). I like the taste and the flaky texture. I am fully aware that fish is not for everyone because it is ‘fishy’ – I shared an office with 4 x colleagues who detested fish with a passion. They are missing out on one of the most amazing food groups out there- you will not hear me complain- it means there is more for me and fellow fish-lovers.
As I have the world’s least effective hob extractor – I think its suction capacity would match that of an asthmatic gnat’s lung – I tend to refrain from pan-frying anything – particularly fish. I am not too sure that my neighboring apartments would appreciate the fishy aroma that would invariably permeate throughout the building. This means that my preferred method is to oven bake.
Baked cod loin with ginger and spring onion
- 1 x tbsp soy sauce
- 1 x tbsp sake or rice wine
- 3/4 tbsp Nom Pla fish sauce
- 2 x fresh cod loins
- 1 x red chilli sliced at an angle
- 1 large clove garlic finely sliced
- 1 x thumb sized piece of root ginger peeled and julienned.
- 2 x spring onions trimmed and sliced
- black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Line a baking tray with foil, and brush/spray the base with half the oil. Put in an oven and heat to 200C.
- Combine the soy, sake and fish sauce in a small bowl (I always use a ramekin for this) and mix thoroughly.
- Peel and julienne the ginger, peel and thinly slice the garlic, and cut the chilli into thin angled slices.
- Trim and slice the spring onions.
- Once the oven has reached temperature, remove the hot baking tray and carefully place the cod loins on top. Pour over the marinate, and finely grind a little black pepper over them. Then, divide the chilli, ginger, and garlic between the two cod loins ad carefully place on top.
- Finally, scatter the spring onion over the loins, drizzle the remaining olive oil and loosely wrap them in foil.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 mins